REQUEST PERSONAL ACCOUNT
You can get access to the Knowledge Base by requesting your personal account.
REQUEST 30 DAY FREE TRIAL ACCOUNT
In order to try out and check the benefits of Vets-net.com you can get a free trial account.
STUDENTS CREATE ACCOUNT HERE
Students can request their account by selecting their associated college.

News

05-06-2007 - Veterinarians warn: Cats and lilies don’t mix Tuesday 5th June 2007

Veterinarians are reporting seeing increasing numbers of cats suffering from poisoning after eating portions of lilies out of flower arrangements.

Dr Matthew Retchford, President of the Australian Small Animal Veterinary Association (ASAVA), a special interest group of the Australian Veterinary Association, said that cats can die after eating small portions of lilies.

“Lilies seem to becoming more popular in flower arrangements and veterinarians are reporting seeing more cases of poisonings,” said Dr Retchford. “All parts of the lily are poisonous to cats – flowers, stamen, stem, leaves and roots, but for some reason, dogs and other pets are not so badly affected.

“The first signs of toxicity, which is usually within the first few hours, include vomiting, depression and loss of appetite. Acute renal failure may set in within one to three days,” he said.

“We would encourage people to keep flower arrangements away from cats, but the key to successful treatment is early treatment.”

Types of lilies that are very toxic to cats include the tiger lily, easter lily, rubrum lily, day lily, glory lily, stargazer lily, japanese show lily, asian lilies.

< Back to news