REQUEST PERSONAL ACCOUNT
You can get access to the Knowledge Base by requesting your personal account.
REQUEST 30 DAY FREE TRIAL ACCOUNT
In order to try out and check the benefits of Vets-net.com you can get a free trial account.
STUDENTS CREATE ACCOUNT HERE
Students can request their account by selecting their associated college.

News

02-08-2006 - Sugar Alcohol toxic for pets (Melissa Convoy) This is not a joke! Ok, here's the deal. I have a chow mix breed. Everyone knows that chocolate is bad for dogs, but not everyone knows that certain chocolates can cause liver failure within 48 hours of consumption. It just so happens that my crafty pup found and ate it all while everyone was at work or school. Any chocolates that contain what companies like to call "sugar alcohol" as stated by Russell Stover can be toxic. Not kidding take a look at the boxes marked as sugar free. Anything labelled with that could kill your pet within two days. Unfortunately, options for treatment are very limited, and symptoms include visual defects (blindness), circling, pacing, anxiety, excessive drooling (in cats), lethargy, seizures, acute depression, vomiting, diarrhea, hemorrhage, loss of apetite, weight loss, or an enlarged liver upon palpatation. The following substances are at least some types of "Sugar Alcohols": Erythritol Glycerol ,HSH, Isomalt, Lactitol ,Maltitol, Mannitol ,Sorbitol and Xylitol I would really appreciate it if you could get this onto your web site to let people know exactly what they are bringing into their homes. So that minimally they can store it better. Unfortunately, I was one of those people who didn't know, and now I am playing the waiting game to see if my 4 year old dog will make it through the next 24-48 hours. Because the vet said the best thing I could do right now is watch closely and carefully. Thank you. Sincerely, Melissa Conroy

< Back to news